Serves 4, adapted from HFW
- 2-3 heads of spring greens or kale or a Savoy cabbage, cores removed and leaves shredded
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely sliced
- ½-1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped,
- or 2 good pinches of dried chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves finely slivered
- 250g pasta such as penne
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Pinch ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the chilli and garlic and some salt and pepper, and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the chickpeas with a pinch of ground cumin and heat through.
Cook the pasta until al dente, adding the greens to the pan about 3 minutes before the end of cooking. Drain the pasta and greens thoroughly and toss with the onion mixture in the frying pan.
Check the seasoning, then serve, with extra virgin olive oil for trickling.