- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 red or white onion finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1-2 green chillies deseeded and chopped
- Thumb-sized piece ginger finely grated
- 2 tbsp curry powder mild, medium or hot to your taste
- 3 peppers mix of red, green and yellow, finely chopped
- 5-6 large carrots grated
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 5-6 large tomatoes or 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 thyme sprigs leaves only, or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 400 g tin haricot, cannellini or baked beans
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish over a medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and starting to caramelise. Stir in the garlic, chillies and half the ginger. Cook for 1-2 mins, then add the curry powder, paprika, oregano, cardamom and stir, adding a splash of water if needed.
- Stir in the peppers and cook for 2 mins. Add carrots and tom purée, tomatoes, thyme. Add the beans, then half-fill the can with water and add that too. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for at least 10 mins until the vegetables are tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Add the remaining ginger and season to taste. Serve with coriander.