A filling soup. Roasting the beetroot adds a sweetness that works perfectly with tart Bramleys. But if you’re in a hurry, peel, grate and sweat with the onions. Or buy ready-cooked!
- 5 medium raw beetroots whoppers take a lot longer to cook
- 2 medium onions
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Bramley apples peeled and quartered
- 1 litre veg stock
- 1 tsp each caraway seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 star anise
- Salt & pepper
- Chives and yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Put beetroot in baking tray with 1cm water. Cook 1-1.5hrs or until soft. Remove, run under cold water and peel.
- Put large pan on heat and melt margarine. Add spice seeds. Raise heat to medium and add onions, taking care not to colour.
- Add apples and quartered beetroot. Pour over the stock, bring to boil (lid on), add the star anise, season and return lid. Simmer 15 mins.
- Serve with chopped chives and with a dollop of soya yoghurt.
Adapted from the Guardian.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!