Gluten free vs NGCI
New regulations mean no food product can be labelled “gluten free” unless it has been tested & verified as such. Products that don’t knowingly contain gluten but that have not been tested must instead be labelled “No Gluten-Containing Ingredients” (NGCI). This applies to all Unicorn’s in-house packed goods, as we pack gluten-containing foods in the same facility.
When it comes to the branded goods on our shelves, our shelf tags also use the term “NGCI” to indicate a product is free from gluten-containing ingredients. Further to this, some manufacturers have had their products tested as free from gluten; this is indicated by the words “gluten free” on the product’s packaging.
So, first look for the blue NGCI mark on our shelf tags & then if you need to be certain something is “gluten-free”, check the packaging.
Some no-gluten containing (NGCI) foods –
Please note, the list below is for guidance only and these products may not be certified “gluten-free”, check product packaging for this.
- Corn/Maize (e.g. polenta or popcorn)
- Maizemeal or masa harina
- Coconut or chestnut flour
- Millet or quinoa flour
- Buckwheat or teff flour
- Soy, gram, bean or pea flour
- Potato or tapioca starch
- Doves GF bread, pastry or self-raising flour
- Xanthan gum (for binding in bread making)
- Egg replacer
- Various mueslis and granolas
- Flakes and puffed cereals
Breads & Pastas
- A range of NGCI and gluten-free bread, ask about availability as all are not in stock all the time!
- Corn tortillas or taco shells
- Various noodles, pastas & gnocchi
- Tamari (not soy sauce), various curry sauces & pastes, pasta sauces
- Check the chiller and deli for pizza bases, burgers, sausages, pies, soups, salads, spreads, cheeses, dips, hummus, savoury snacks and more
- Tofu & tempeh—a whole range in the chiller
- A range of crackers, crispbreads, and crisps: Look for things made from gluten-free oats, corn (e.g. tortilla chips, popcorn), rice, gram or chickpea flour (e.g. hummus and lentil chips, Bombay mix), buckwheat, potato and other veg crisps, and of course salted nuts, corn and beans
- Chocolate, biscuits, and fruit bars in the sweets section
- Yoghurts, puddings, chocolate truffles, fudge and pies abound in the chiller
- Brownies and other NGCI options on the deli
- Ice cream and fruit-based frozen sweets in the freezer
And of course all the lovely fruit & veg you could want! Find our no-gluten recipes here.
See www.coeliac.org.uk for more info on avoiding gluten.