Gluten free vs NGI
New regulations mean no food product can be labelled “gluten free” unless it has been tested & verified as such. Products that don’t knowingly contain gluten but that have not been tested must instead be labelled “No Gluten-Containing Ingredients” (NGI). This applies to all Unicorn’s in-house packed goods, as we pack gluten-containing foods in the same facility.
When it comes to the branded goods on our shelves, our shelf tags also use the term “NGI” to indicate a product is free from gluten-containing ingredients. Further to this, some manufacturers have had their products tested as free from gluten; this is indicated by the words “gluten free” on the product’s packaging.
So, first look for the blue NGI mark on our shelf tags & then if you need to be certain something is “gluten-free”, check the packaging.
Some no-gluten containing (NGI) foods –
Please note, the list below is for guidance only and these products may not be certified “gluten-free”, check product packaging for this.
- Corn/Maize (e.g. polenta, popcorn)
- Maizemeal & Masa harina
- Rice or potato flour
- Coconut or Chestnut flour
- Buckwheat & Teff flour
- Gram flour & Soya flour
- Millet flour
- Doves GF bread (brown or white) or pastry flour
- Xanthan gum (for binding in bread making)
- Cream of tartar (use with Bicarb instead of NGI Baking powder)
- Unicorn NGI Muesli, buckwheat flakes, puffed rice & millet
- Rice, Quinoa & Millet flakes
- Doves cornflakes, Alara Muesli, Glebe Farm Porridge Oats
Breads & Pastas
- Pauls Gluten Free 1 & 2 Bread, Village Bakery Gluten & Yeast Free Bread, Corn Tortillas, a range of noodles & pastas
- Tamari (not soy sauce), various curry sauces & pastes, pasta sauces
Savoury Main meals
- Dragonfly burgers, Oasis Burgers
- Clive’s Minty Chick Pea, Aloo Gobi & Chilli pies
- Tofu & tempeh—a whole range in the chiller
Savoury snacks / extras
- In the chiller: Various Unicorn salads & soups, many spreads & dips
- On the deli: Ask! Salads and a range of spicy snacks (from Lily’s!)
- Rice cakes, corn cakes, gluten-free oatcakes, buckwhest crispbread
- Potato chips, popcorn, tortilla chips
- Yeast pates & of course all the houmous!
- In the chiller/freezer: Coconut fruit yoghurt, Booja Booja’s chocolate truffles & ice cream, raw chocolate pies and various puddings
- Chocolate, some fruit bars
- On the deli: Halva, Mocha Cake, some balls
- Rice and soy custards, Choco and Vanilla
And of course all the lovely fruit & veg you could want! Find our no-gluten recipes here.
See www.coeliac.org.uk for more info on avoiding gluten.