- 700 g Chinese cabbage or cavolo/pak choi mix, rough chopped
- 150 g each mooli & carrots in matchsticks
- 5 spring onions roughly chopped
- 20 g each fresh ginger & garlic
- 10 g each chilli flakes & paprika
- 1/2 tsp ½ tsp syrup/sugar
- 2-3 tbsp seaweed flakes
- 1 tbsp umami mushroom stock (optional)
- Massage greens with 50g salt, til they start to fall apart. Set 30-60min. Rinse very well & drain – it should taste salty but not too much. Add other veg and massage well with pureed dressing ingredients. It should be fairly juicy – and it will make more as it ferments – but add a bit of brine if you want. Press into jar but not too tight.
- Ferment as follows:
- Put lid on loosely so nothing explodes, with a dish underneath for drips. Ferment at room temp (out of the sun) 7-14 days, ’til it’s as tangy as you like. Note, warm rooms ferment faster!
- Every 1-2 days, press down with a clean fork to get out bubbles and keep everything covered in brine. (Air can cause mould!)
- Don’t worry if you see bubbles or cloudiness, this is all part of the process - but if you see lots of mould that’s not a good sign.
- Once it’s fermented, it should last for months in the fridge.
- For more info, ask knowledgeable friends or the internet – or find a pickling workshop, there are a few around Manchester.