Soffritto: ‘The Holy Trinity’
This combination of onion, carrot and celery is the basis for many delicious Italian – and other! – dishes. Some recipes call for a proportion of 2:1:1, others say 3:2:2; you decided how you like it. You can make loads and freeze it in portions, or just make it fresh as you need it. This recipe makes about 600g, although you could halve it or double it!
- 200 ml olive oil
- 4 large carrots finely diced
- 4 large white onions finely diced
- 4 large celery sticks finely diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- Warm the oil over a low heat. Add all the veg (except garlic) to the pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes or more, or until the onion is translucent and the carrot and celery are sweating mildly. Add the garlic if using and cook another 5 minutes. Season.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!