- 2 tbsp linseed soaked in 60ml water
- 130 g wholemeal flour or 200g ground almonds for gluten free
- 1 tsp baking powder gluten free if desired
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 70 ml olive oil
- 90 g sweet freedom or other syrup
- 100 ml soya milk
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 600 g chopped apples 5-6 apples, or up to 800g if you like!
- 50 g flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 150C, and grease a 20cm round cake tin.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (except for the flaked almonds). Separately, whisk together wet ingredients (including linseed gel). Combine and stir gently. Fold in apple chunks. Pour into tin, press down, top with flaked almonds and bake 35-45 minutes (the gluten free version may take a bit longer). It’s done when the middle bounces back and edges just pulling away from the sides (if testing with a skewer to see if the cake is cooked, some apple may stick to it). Eat warm or rest in tin for 2 hours and eat at room temperature.