- 1 loaf day old rustic or sourdough bread
- 1 small to medium ripe banana
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Good pinch of salt and black pepper
- Blend all ingredients apart from bread and transfer the batter to a shallow bowl.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Place a thick slice of bread in the batter for 2 seconds, then flip and soak for another 2 seconds. Remove from the batter and let excess fall off. Place in hot pan and cook for 4 to 6 mins per side on a medium heat.
- You want to cook the batter really well and caramelize the banana in it but not burn it. If the toast is not done, the bread will not release from the pan easily. Let it cook another minute or so. Flip and cook the other side.
- Place on a plate, Add a helping of caramelized bananas, fresh fruit, or maple syrup and serve immediately.