- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 small beetroot peeled & quartered
- 4 carrots chunked
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 ml red wine
- 450 ml veg stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 Tbsp water (optional)
- 400 g dried puy lentils and 1L water
- 2-3 portobellos
- 10 chestnut mushrooms
- A handful shallots peeled and halved
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions & garlic to soft. Add beets, carrots, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 mins, and add tomato paste, wine, veg stock and bay leaves. Simmer 40min on low.
- Rinse lentils. Bring water to a boil, add lentils, reduce heat and simmer 15-20min. When al dente, add salt and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in pan. Sear mushrooms and shallots, cooking until tender and golden. Season and set aside.
- Taste stew, adding more wine, stock or herbs if needed. Add arrowroot mixture to thicken if desired. Add mushrooms and onions and simmer 10min. To serve, spoon stew over lentils and sprinkle with thyme.