- 300 g cooked beetroot chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 100 ml soya milk or oat milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 200 g white spelt flour
- 200 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 50 g pumpkin seeds plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp sea salt plus pepper to taste
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Add vinegar/lemon juice to milk and leave to sour for 20 mins.
- Preheat oven 220C. Puree beetroot, spices and soured milk to smooth.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour beetroot mixture into the flours and mix with a fork until well combined, then use your hands to bring the lot into a rough ball.
- Don’t knead or it will make the finished loaf tough.
- Dust baking sheet with flour and put dough on top. Dust with more flour and a handful of pumpkin seeds.
- Cut a deep cross in the bread, then bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and risen. (It will get less pink!)
- Remove from the oven and tap the bottom of the loaf. If you get a hollow sound, it’s perfect. Cool on a wire rack.