If you want a little more sweetness a couple of tablespoons of apple juice can be added. If you like it more salty add some tamari or salt.
- 450 g dried haricot beans (soaked overnight) or 4 x 425g tins haricot beans (no sugar, no salt)
- 3 medium onions peeled & finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled & crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 level teaspoons ground paprika
- 600 ml water
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- If using dried, pre-soaked beans, drain & rinse them, put them in a pan, cover with water and simmer for an hour until cooked. Drain and leave on one side until required. On top of the stove, fry the onions and garlic in the oil in a large, heavy casserole dish until lightly browned. Add the paprika and a little filtered water to make a rich sauce. Add the molasses, tomato ketchup and tomato puree and add water, little by little, to make a thickish sauce.
- Add the beans and the rest of the water and bake in the oven at 150 C/Gas mark 2 for 2 hours until cooked. You may have to add a little more water after an hour's cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!