- Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- ½ onion roughly chopped and 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tins cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 150 ml water or stock
- 4 heads chicory or 2 heads radicchio
- 2 red onions
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- For the bean purée, heat a glug of oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion to soft. Add garlic, beans, stock or water and seasoning. Cook over a medium heat for about four minutes. Blitz with 4tblsp olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
- Quarter the chicory. Peel & halve the onions, trim the base and cut into crescent moon-shaped wedges 2cm wide at thickest part. Put in dish with a 3 tbsp oil, vinegar and seasoning. Stir to coat and set for about 10 min.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot and cook onions quickly until well coloured. Reduce heat to low cook onions further until soft.
- Increase heat and add the chicory. Let it get a good colour on each side. Spoon bean purée into a dish (warm first if desired), top with chicory and onions, season, drizzle with oil and serve.