- Olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- ½ onion roughly chopped and 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tins cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 150 ml water or stock
- 4 heads chicory or 2 heads radicchio
- 2 red onions
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- For the bean purée, heat a glug of oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion to soft. Add garlic, beans, stock or water and seasoning. Cook over a medium heat for about four minutes. Blitz with 4tblsp olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
- Quarter the chicory. Peel & halve the onions, trim the base and cut into crescent moon-shaped wedges 2cm wide at thickest part. Put in dish with a 3 tbsp oil, vinegar and seasoning. Stir to coat and set for about 10 min.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot and cook onions quickly until well coloured. Reduce heat to low cook onions further until soft.
- Increase heat and add the chicory. Let it get a good colour on each side. Spoon bean purée into a dish (warm first if desired), top with chicory and onions, season, drizzle with oil and serve.
Adapted from Diana Henry’s radicchio recipe. Watercress works too.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!