A simple dish & favourite amongst kids. Conventionally cooked on the hob in a cast iron dish, but you can bake it like lasagne as well, like in this adaptation from the USA.
- Olive oil
- 8-10 Corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans or black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 tsp Jalapenos optional
- Yoghurt and cheese optional
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Guajillos or similar not-too-hot diced dried chilli
- Saute the following together until a little crispy & golden, 5–10 mins:
2 tbsp olive oil
8–10 corn tortillas cut into strips
1/2 onion chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp oregano
Make the sauce:
- Saute 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic until soft and golden.
- Add 1–2 tbsp pureed not-too-spicy chilli (e.g. guajillos) or paprika, the chopped tomatoes, tinned beans, cumin, oregano, and (optional) chopped jalapenos, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Layer in a 9”x13” dish:
Sauce, sauteed tortillas, sauce, sauteed tortillas, sauce... saving a few tortillas to sprinkle on top.
- If you like it creamier, spread a few spoonfuls of vegan yoghurt with 2 of the layers of sauce. Finish off with cheezly or other plant-based cheese if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180 C.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!