- 150 g split fava beans
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Oil for sautéing
- 2 tsp of panch phoran
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Small piece of ginger grated
- Handful of fresh coriander and lime wedges optional
- 1 tsp of chilli flakes more or less according to taste
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes or passata
- Other veg if desired e.g. steamed cauliflower or spinach
- Give beans a quick wash & boil in a pan with enough water to more than cover them. Add turmeric, salt & boil until soft (about 15 min).
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add panch phoran. When the first seeds start to pop, add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. Fry until the onions are soft. Stir regularly to avoid burning the seeds.
- Add tomatoes with about 100ml hot water. Simmer for 10 mins. Drain beans, add to the spiced tomatoes (with other veg if using) and cook another 5 mins. Serve with chopped coriander, a slice of lime and rice.