Gardiniera (Mixed Veg pickles)
- Veg: E.g. ¼ cauli, ½ beetroot, ½ fennel, 1 carrot, radishes, celery in bite size chunks, or smaller if you prefer
- Optional: Shallot, 1 clove garlic, 1 chilli (sliced) sliced or roughly chopped
- Herbs: 5 peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, a couple stalks dill, etc. whole
- 3% cold brine: E.g. for ~500ml put 15g salt in a jug, fill to 500g with boiled filtered water, stir to dissolve, and cool.
- Chop or slice the veg as desired (smaller for harder bits like cauli stalks).
- Put herbs, chillies & garlic in the jar. Pack in the veg but not too tight.
- Fill with brine, leaving a bit of space on top.
- Ferment as follows:
- Put lid on loosely so nothing explodes, with a dish underneath for drips. Ferment at room temp (out of the sun) 7-14 days, ’til it’s as tangy as you like. Note, warm rooms ferment faster!
- Every 1-2 days, press down with a clean fork to get out bubbles and keep everything covered in brine. (Air can cause mould!)
- Don’t worry if you see bubbles or cloudiness, this is all part of the process - but if you see lots of mould that’s not a good sign.
- Once it’s fermented, it should last for months in the fridge.
- For more info, ask knowledgeable friends or the internet – or find a pickling workshop, there are a few around Manchester.