Muhammara: Syrian Red Pepper Spread
- 1 tablespoon crushed chilli flakes or 1 small red chilli chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup walnuts toasted (you can use any nut you want, but walnuts are the most authentic)
- 1/4 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 to 3 roasted red peppers
- 1/2 to 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Using a hand blender or a food processor, puree the chilli flakes (or the chopped chilli), cumin, garlic, walnuts, bread crumbs, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, tomato paste, and red peppers to a smooth, even consistency.
- Mix in the warm water in increments to achieve an easily spreadable consistency similar to a thick yogurt. If you’re going to use it for dipping, you might want to leave it a bit thicker.
- Stir in the salt and adjust the seasonings if needed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!