If you’ve heard stories about nut roasts being dry and boring, don’t worry this recipe stays nice & moist. You can’t beat a good old nut roast and they’re great for energy and are packed with protein. Serves 4.
- 1 small onion
- 2 large mushrooms
- 1 large tomato
- 1 stick of celery
- 10 ml olive oil
- 2 tsp rice flour
- 90 ml water/stock
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 30 g almonds
- 55 g hazelnuts
- 30 g cashews
- 115 g cooked rice millet or quinoa
- Ground black pepper
- Finely dice the onion, mushrooms, celery & skin & dice the tomato. Sweat the onion in the oil until soft. Add the mushrooms or celery & cook for 2/3 mins. Stir in the tomato, cover & simmer for 3 mins. Sprinkle on the flour & cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Gradually stir in the stock or water. Add the herbs & cook for two mins.
- Grind the nuts roughly & add along with rice & pepper.
- Pack the mixture into a loaf tin, cover with foil & tuck the edges under to secure tightly.
- Steam for 45 mins above a pan of boiling water or pressure cook for 15 mins
- Serve with stir fried kale or cavolo nero and a variety of roasted vegetables. This can also be made in advance and frozen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!