- 1 kg waxy potatoes chopped into 2.5cm cubes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
For the Spicy tomato sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red chilli seeded & minced
- Handful of thyme leaves chopped (or use 1-2 tsp dried)
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp syrup optional
- A handful of parsley chopped
- Heat oil over a medium-low heat. Add onion with the thyme and sweat until soft and translucent (approx. 10 minutes).
- While onions cook, add the potatoes to a large pan of boiling, salted water. Bring back to boil and cook 5-8 minutes until tender but firm (not quite done). Drain and leave to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilli to the onions and cook for a further minute. Add tomatoes and juice, paprika, syrup and salt and pepper. Simmer 10 mins, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, warm 5 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over a medium-high heat. Sauté potatoes 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden. Add salt to taste.
- Add a splash of hot water to sauce if needed, then pour over the potatoes. Serve warm with chopped parsley on top.