Radicchio Salad with Beetroot and Walnuts
This lovely combo of flavours and textures is beautiful to look at and to eat. It uses a few bowls, but doesn’t take long really. Double the walnut if you want extra for snacking! Adapted from Minimalist Baker. Serves 4
For the dressing
- 70 g cashews soaked in hot water 10 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp yeast flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 punch onion powder optional
For the beetroot
- 1 beetroot thinly sliced
- 7 cloves garlic chopped
- olive oil
For the walnuts
- 90 g walnuts
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch cinnamon
For the salad
- 1 large head radicchio bottom trimmed and roughly chopped (~6 cups)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Handful parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 220C. In a roasting dish, toss beetroot and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 10-15 minutes, until beetroot slices caramelise and garlic is golden brown (not burned!).
- Meantime, toast walnut in skillet (cast iron if possible) over medium heat to toast for 5 minutes, stirring. Add syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and toss to combine. Cool in pan.
- Prepare dressing: Drain cashews and blend with other ingredients until smooth. Adjust seasonings to suit your taste. It should be zingy, salty, and lemony with a bit of cheesiness – lots of flavour is good!
- In the serving bowl, toss radicchio with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add cashew dressing and toss to coat. Top with beetroot, walnuts and parsley and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!