Rice and Beans
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2-3 garlic clove minced
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 can of red kidney beans rinsed and drained (Or Black Eye Beans)
- 2 small bay leaves
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon of Jerk Spice see below
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 teaspoons paprika optional
JERK SPICE SEASONING
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon spice
- 1 tablespoon ground all spice
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ Tablespoon ground nutmeg spice
- 1 Tablespoon or more Chilli flakes cayenne pepper, chilli powder
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain water.
- Heat a saucepan with oil. Then add onions, garlic, thyme, and hot pepper, sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in rice to the pan, followed by beans for about 2 minutes, then add coconut milk, bay leaf, bouillon powder, creole spice, with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes or more.
- Stir occasionally from the sides to prevent burns, add more water if needed.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves. You have to stir occasionally to be preventing any burns.
- Serve warm!