- 425 ml basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion peeled & finely chopped
- 1/2 a fresh hot green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp very finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 570 ml veg stock (1 pint)
- Pick over the rice and put in a bowl. Wash in several changes of water. Drain. Pour 2 pints (1 & 1/4 litres) of fresh water over the rice and let it soak for 1/2 an hour. Leave to drain in a sieve for 20 mins.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the onion. Stir and fry until the onion bits have browned slightly, then add the rice, green chilli, garlic, garam Masala and salt. Stir gently for 3—4 mins until all the grains are coated with oil.
- If the rice begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, turn the heat down slightly. Now pour in the stock and bring the rice to the boil. Cover with a very tight-fitting lid, turn the heat to very, very low and cook for 25 mins.
- If you prefer, you could put the pan in a preheated oven (gas mark 3, 170°C) for 25 minutes.
- Serve with the lemony tofu curry in fresh coriander