- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- A thumb of finely chopped fresh ginger
- 100 g plain tofu or more if required, diced
- 1.5 Tbsp soya sauce/tamari to taste
- 3 Tbsp chilli oil see below
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds coarsely ground
- 3 Tbsp soya sauce
- 400 g udon noodles
- 2 spring onions chopped
Chilli Oil ingredients (makes 180ml):
- 3/4 cup peanut oil
- 7 dried red chillies
- 1 Tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- First, make the chilli oil:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chillies / peppercorns. Simmer over low heat for 3/4 mins. Remove from heat, allow to cool, then strain. Discard the chillies and peppercorns and store the chilli in an airtight jar. Keeps for a month.
For the noodles:
- Heat the veg oil in a saucepan and sauté ginger for 10 seconds over medium heat. Add the tofu and stir, adding 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the chilli oil, sesame seeds and the remaining soy sauce to make a sauce.
- Immerse the udon noodles in 6 cups of boiling water for 2-3 mins to refresh. Drain and divide into individual bowls.
- Spoon a heaped Tbsp of sauce onto each bowl of noodles with the chopped spring onions and chilli sauce.
- Mix thoroughly before eating.