- 6 corn ears
- 560g scraped kernels
- 40 g margarine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium aubergine in 2cm dice
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 60 ml white wine
- 200 g chopped peeled tomatoes fresh or tinned
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano plus whole leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the aubergine on medium heat for 15 mins, until browned. Drain and discard oil. Stir in the tomato paste, cook for two mins on medium heat. Add the wine and cook for another min.
- Add the tomatoes, 500ml water, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar and the oregano, and cook for five mins. Set aside.
- Shave the kernels off the corn ears and place in a pan with 100ml of water, to cover. Add half the marg and cook on low for 12 mins. Lift out kernels with a slotted spoon, and blitz in a food processor.
- Return corn paste to the pan and, on low heat and stirring, cook again for about 10-15 mins until it has the consistency of mashed potato. Fold in the remaining marg and add seasoning, and cook for two mins longer.
- Divide the polenta into shallow bowls and spoon some warm sauce in the centre. Garnish the aubergine sauce with picked oregano leaves and serve hot.
Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!