As made at the deli.
- 300 g red lentils
- 850 ml water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Small knob of ginger
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
- Salt to taste
- Small handful fresh coriander
- Wash lentils well and then add to the water and put on to boil in a medium sized pan.
- Add the asafoetida, turmeric and salt and cook on a low heat for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Skim the lentils as you notice a scum forming.
- Slice the onion, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
- Meanwhile heat a heavy based frying pan until hot. Add the cumin seeds and 'pop' them.
- Then add the oil.
- Next add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Then add the dry spices and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils to the frying pan and continue to fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Take off heat add fresh coriander, check seasoning and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!