The Best Granola
- 170 g porridge or jumbo oats
- 170 g other flaked or puffed grains try a mix of cornflakes and puffed rice for texture – or more oats are fine!
- 200 g mixed nuts roughly chopped
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 50 g seeds
- 40 g coconut oil
- 120 ml syrup try rice syrup with a bit of molasses or date syrup
- 1 tsp salt optional
- 1 generous pinch spices try one or more of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or cardamom (optional)
- 100 g chocolate chips or dried fruit, or both
- Grease two large baking trays and preheat oven to 170C (150C fan).
- Mix together grains, nuts and seeds in large bowl. Melt together coconut oil and syrup, add salt and spices (if using) and mix until homogenous.
- Stir syrup well through dry ingredients. Spread over baking trays. Ensure it’s not too crowded, maybe with some ‘edges’ in the middle to help it cook evenly. Press down well to encourage it to clump together.
- If the heat is right (not too high) and it’s well spread out, you shouldn’t need to stir – this will make it clumpier. If you aren’t bothered about clumps or worry it’s cooking unevenly, stir away!
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden. When it comes out, immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips so that they melt into the granola. (Return to the oven for 30 seconds to help this process if needed.)
- If you want it to set in clumps, let cool completely before you break up. Enjoy! You’ll never go back.