Serve with Aromatic Yellow Rice. Serves 4-6
- 2 large packs of tofu
- A large onion
- A large chunk of fresh ginger peeled & coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tbls blanched almonds
- 3 medium to large red peppers seeded & coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsps ground coriander seeds
- 1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper depending on taste
- 2 tsps salt
- 1/2 tsps ground pepper
- 7 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 fl oz water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine onions, ginger, garlic, almonds, peppers, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne & salt into a food processor and blend into a paste.
- Put the oil into a large, wide saucepan and heat it over a low heat. Stir and fry the paste for 10-12 mins or until you can see the oil forming tiny bubbles around it.
- Dice the tofu into small chunks and add to pan with the water, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir gently so as not to break up the tofu and bring to the boil.
- Adjust seasoning according to taste. Serve with Aromatic yellow rice.
Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey’s 'The Indian Cookery Classic.'
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!