Aromatic Yellow Rice
You may use either basmati rice or long grain rice here. Also known as Peelay Chaaval. Serve with the Tofu in Red Sweet Pepper sauce.
- 425 ml long grain/basmati rice
- 570 ml water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon 2—3 cm
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbls vegetable/soya margarine
- Put the rice into a bowl and rinse with water. Drain. Let the rice soak for 1/2 an hour, then drain again.
- Combine the drained rice, 570ml of water,, salt, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves in a heavy pot and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn heat to very, very low and cook for 25 mins. Let the pot rest, covered and undisturbed for 10 mins.
- Add the small pats of margarine to the rice and mix them in gently with a fork. Remove the whole spices before serving.
Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey’s ‘The Indian Cookery Classic'. Serve with tofu in a red sweet pepper sauce
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!