Chickpea & Cabbage soup
- 1 savoy cabbage or other seasonal greens around 800g
- 100 g fresh or tinned tomatoes
- 1 large potato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 100 g soffritto
- ½ tsp each cinnamon & cumin
- Handful coriander chopped
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 240 g canned chickpeas drained
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: A couple slices of stale bread and extra olive oil
- Cut the greens, tomato and potato into chunks. Brown the veg over a low heat with the olive oil and bay leaves.
- After 5 min, add soffritto, cinnamon, cumin and half the coriander. Add 1.5 litres hot water, bring to boil, add salt, cover and cook on low 30 min.
- Add the chickpeas and chilli flakes and cook uncovered another 15 min.
- Cube the stale bread, toss in oil, salt and pepper and pan fry until crispy.
- Roughly blend half the soup. Serve warm and top with croutons if you have them, and the remaining fresh coriander.