This soup uses our own bean mix for a substantial chunky soup. The aduki beans give it flavour and the larger beans and chick peas add texture and make it seriously filling.
- 225 g Unicorn bean mix (or other dried beans!)
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 25 g butter or margarine
- 1.5 pints vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Wash the beans well and soak in water overnight.
- Chop the onion and dice the carrot.
- Melt the margarine and saute the onion until transparent.
- Put the drained beans and all the other ingredients except the parsley into a large saucepan and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
- Alternatively pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.
Adapted from “The Cranks Recipe Book”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!