- 250 ml Vinegar Cider or whatever your choose
- 250 ml Water
- 1-3 tbsp Flavourings such as Pickle spice Or your chosen combination of bay leaves, peppercorns, coriander seed, mustard seed, chillies, cloves, allspice, ginger, etc.
- 2-4 tbsp Salt
- Veg, seasonal and fresh as possible Cucumber, onions, beetroot, courgette, cabbage, carrots, peppers, green beans, etc.
- Mix together the water, vinegar, salt and spices. Bring to a boil, then leave to cool.
- Clean and prepare the veg.
- Fill a clean jar (or two) with veg, then fill with brine to cover.
- Leave loosely covered for 48 hours or more as you desire.
- While fermenting, keep a dish underneath for drips. Ferment at room temp (out of the sun) ’til it’s as tangy as you like. Note, warm rooms ferment faster!
- Every 1-2 days, press down with a clean fork to get out bubbles and keep everything covered in brine. (Air can cause mould!)
- Don’t worry if you see bubbles or cloudiness, this is all part of the process - but if you see lots of mould that’s not a good sign.
- Once it’s fermented, it should last for months in the fridge.
- For more info, ask knowledgeable friends or the internet – or find a pickling workshop, there are a few around Manchester.