Serve as part of a mezze with broad bean puree and other spreads, pittas, roasted aubergine and other veg, salad, falafel, or whatever you like. Includes caramelized onions, recipe here.
- 125 g dried fava beans soaked overnight and drained
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds roughly ground
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 bunch fresh coriander or dill roughly chopped
- Caramelised Crispy Onions
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat oil, add garlic and cumin and fry a couple minutes (until golden brown). Add fava beans, stir well and cover with water. Cook for about 10min or more over low heat until beans are soft, adding more water as needed. Transfer to bowl, mash into thick paste. Season with salt, pepper and lemon. Then add chopped herbs and a bit more olive oil. Finally stir in caramelised onions, reserving a few to sprinkle on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!