- 500 g split fava beans soaked overnight
- 1 red onion
- Big bunch fresh coriander
- 1 red chilli pepper
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 pinches coarse salt
- 3 pinches fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Soak beans overnight or speed-soak by placing them in boiled water, then taking it off the heat and leaving to stand for 1 hour.
- Coarsely chop herbs, chilli and onion. Mix with drained beans, spices and zest, and pulse in a food processor until fairly smooth, but not a paste.
- Roll mixture into ping pong sized balls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil to cover one layer of falafels in a deep pan. When oil is very hot, carefully place falafels. Deep a few minutes, to golden brown. Drain briefly on kitchen paper and sprinkle lightly with salt.