Traditionally served with Wiener sausages and pickled gherkins.
- 1 medium onion
- A dash or two of vinegar cider or balsamic
- A blob of mustard
- 1 jar mayonnaise
- 1 kg waxy potatoes, boiled Nicola or Charlotte variety are best
- Sunflower oil
- Sweetener of choice
- Salt & pepper
- Finely chop the onion and soften in a pan with oil until soft. Don’t let them brown. Add a little water then stir in the mayonnaise (start with a couple of tablespoons – you can always add more). Add a dash or two of vinegar and a blob of mustard, sweetener and salt & pepper.
- Halve or quarter the boiled potatoes (leaving the skins on for added texture and taste) and mix into the onion & mayo mixture. If the sauce is too thick, just add a little more water or vinegar to adjust.
- For extra creaminess use some a couple of tablespoons crème fraiche or yoghurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!