- Dried chickpeas 225g 2 tins, drained
- Tahini light or dark 75ml (5tbsp)
- Lemon juice 120ml 8tbsp, approx 2 lemons
- Olive Oil 60ml 4 tbsp
- Garlic 3 cloves, crushed
- Cumin 2 tsp optional
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp-1 tsp, to taste
- Soak the chick peas overnight and cook as instructed on the label. Reserve 200ml (1/3 pint) of the cooking liquid.
- Using a blender or a food processor, blend the chick peas and garlic to a coarse paste. Add the tahini and seasonings and blend again. Add the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the lemon juice. If you want it thinner add some cooking liquid or water to desired consistency.
- Leave to stand for two hours for it to become more flavoursome. Taste for salt/pepper, and lemon (if too lemony, add more tahini!).
- Garnish with a trickle of olive oil, paprika and lemon slices. Serve with pitta bread, toast, or as a dip with a crisp salad.