This low-calorie breakfast scramble is high in fibre and protein. The lemon juice adds a little brightness. Serve with whole-wheat toast to round out the meal. From Food Network.
- 390 g firm tofu drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 140 g fresh spinach chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- Combine the tofu, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne, if using, in a medium bowl. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is lightly browned and resembles scrambled eggs, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and scallion greens and stir until the tomatoes are just heated through and begin to soften, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, add the basil and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!