Everyone has their favourite gravy recipe, this is one member’s
- 2 each onions carrots and celery sticks, all roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 large sprig thyme leaves only
- 1 tablespoon maple or other syrup
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Saute onion, carrots and celery with olive oil and herbs for ~15 minutes, or until turning golden. Add the syrup and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised. Stir in the flour, then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until thickened and reduced. Press through sieve (or blitz if you prefer) and serve with your roast dinner.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!