- 100 g split dried fava beans
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp mild dried chilli
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley and/or mint
- Smoked paprika to garnish
- Boil the split dried fava beans in plenty of water for 30 minutes. (After 30 min the beans will be soft and creamy but will largely be still intact with some bite – this will give a coarse houmus. For a smoother consistency cook for 40 minutes in just enough water, topping up if necessary, and the beans will cook down to a creamy paste.)
- Meanwhile mix tahini, olive oil and lemon juice, stirring well for a creamy consistency. Add chilli and lemon zest, and parsley/mint. Crush and finely chop the garlic and mix it in.
- When the beans are cooked, drain well and stir in the tahini dressing.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley and smoked paprika.